Hygeia’s Hospital Hybrid Operating Room was inaugurated on November 2012.
1. It is the FIRST HYBRID OPERATING ROOM in Greece and among the most sophisticated LAST GENERATION OPERATING ROOMS WORLDWIDE.
2. It has state of the art equipment.
3. It offers utmost patient safety for ANY percutaneous or open surgical procedure in any part of the cardiovascular system (peripheral, coronary, intracranial).
4. It enables the simultaneous treatment of multiple cardiovascular lesions.
5. It is characterized as LAST GENERATION MULTIDISCIPLINARY HYBRID OPERATING ROOM because it enables the performance of ALL minimally invasive and open surgical procedures by ALL MEDICAL SPECIALTIES.
Until recently the only treatment of vascular disease was open surgical procedures characterized by large incisions, significant pain and morbidity, lengthy recovery and significant complication rates.
Nowadays the vast majority of vascular disease requires only percutaneous minimally invasive procedures (also called endovascular).
Their characteristics include:
1. Large incisions have been replaced by skin punctures.
2. Vascular repair is performed from within the vessel (this is why they are called endovascular) by using state of the art endovascular devices (balloons, stents, cover stents, endografts, filters, embolization, materials, etc.).
3. There is no postoperative pain.
4. Only local anesthesia is required.
5. Hospital stay usually lasts one day.
6. Recovery time occurs in one or two days.
7. Possible complications are significantly reduced.
8. They require imaging equipment in order to visualize the interior of blood vessels.
Until now percutaneous minimally invasive vascular procedures were performed either in the operating room with portable C-arms or in the angiography suite.
In the operating room there is increased safety, superior vascular access but decreased imaging capabilities. The exact opposite occurs in the angiography suite.
Currently, endovascular procedures became so sophisticated and complex that require the combined advantages of the operating room and angiography suite. Furthermore, sometimes we need to convert or combine an endovascular and an open surgical procedure. For that reason hybrid operating rooms were created.
Hybrid operating room is the combination of an operating room and angiography suite which enables the treatment of vascular disease in any part of the cardiovascular system.
In last generation hybrid OR, minimally invasive and open surgical procedures of the entire cardiovascular system are performed at the same place on the same time.